Friday, June 27, 2008

Quick Elkhorn Update

While I wait for some samples to finish their time in the water bath at work, I figured I'd write a quick update about last weekend's Elkhorn Classic. The first stage, a 70 mile road race, worked out very well for the Bob's women, with Jenn Halladay, Sarah Barber, and Ally Stacher getting off the front in the lead group of four riders, which also included Alice Pennington. Jenni Gaertner was not far behind, while I managed to lose several additional minutes. I don't know what it is about the first stage of Elkhorn, but I seem to have a bad day there every year! The cat 3 Bob's women also had a strong showing, finishing in the lead group for their category. Ted had a day similar to mine.

Saturday morning was a 10 mile time trial. I was relatively happy with mine, finishing 2nd, but I didn't feel it was my best effort. All of the Bob's ladies finished high up in the TT, so it was a good stage for us all. Ted had a rough TT, finishing a few minutes slower than he did last year. All in all, it's been a frustrating TT season for him.

Saturday evening's crit was crazy! Dark storm clouds rolled in for the start of our race, following thunder and lightning that had struck for some of the earlier men's races. I had heard rumors that the course was slippery when wet, but I had no idea how bad it would be. When the rain started coming, I decided I did not want to be in the pack, so I attacked off the front, gaining a small gap. Going into the first corner, I felt my rear wheel slide, thinking for a second I would hold it up. Nope. Down I went. Unable to unclip from my right pedal, I looked back to see a large chunk of the pack suffer the same fate, sliding and crashing. We first heard that our crit had been neutralized, but minutes later heard that the race was called. Our poor teammate, Jenn, was taken to the hospital by ambulance, having fractured her pelvis. There were lots of bruises, but everyone else was okay.

Following our "race," the cat 3 men took to the course for some easy warm-up laps. Sure enough, just riding easily, numerous riders crashed out in the same corner. The rain poured part way through the 3's race, so their race was also called, and the 1/2 men's crit was outright canceled. There would have been serious carnage if the races had continued. It was like riding on an ice rink.

Going into the final 100 mile stage on Sunday, my teammate Sarah Barber was the leader on G.C., so our main objective was to defend her placing. The race mostly stayed together until the final 6 mile climb, with Sarah successfully maintaining her G.C. lead and Ally Stacher finishing 4th. Aside from Jenn's unfortunate crash, it was a great weekend for Bob's. Now, for the next two weekends, we actually get to stay home. What a novelty! I don't think we'll be going anywhere.

No comments: