Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We are finally having real summer weather in Spokane, with temperatures in the 90s. Being unable to go outside and enjoy the nice weather on my bike is making me stir crazy. I do still go for short walks around the neighborhood, but otherwise I'm pretty much in the house right now. I need a change of scenery in the worst way! Who wants to take a trip somewhere? Anywhere!

I did start riding my bike last Friday, beginning with 2 miles on the trainer to test it out. I've since worked my way outside, with my longest ride being 7 miles. Later today I'm hoping to do even a bit more. I have to stay flat, as it is not comfortable to get out of the saddle. Otherwise, I really feel pretty good on the bike. The worst thing is actually the small area directly around my incision, as I appear to be allergic to the adhesive that was used to seal my incision with Steri-Strips. I had my strips removed Thursday, and began to have a reaction Friday, which is still continuing. Bike shorts, sweat, and heat really tend to irritate it, making it itch and burn.

Ted leaves tomorrow for a 10-day trip to the Midwest, so this will be a real test for me. I am still not supposed to lift anything over 5 pounds. Let me tell you, a lot of things weigh more than 5 pounds! I was thinking of driving somewhere to ride my bike, but I can't lift my bike to get it out of/into the car! And grocery shopping? The bags are too heavy. Thankfully, Ted's going to stock me up with stuff today before he leaves.

I haven't walked Hitcher since surgery because he is so strong and pulls so much. I did buy one of these harnesses, with hopes that it'll be enough for me to comfortably walk him. The real test will come when he spots a squirrel. We may also start with the shock collar on, so I can buzz him if he really starts to pull on me. The yard is going to be fenced soon, but not until Ted returns from his trip, so I need to at least be able to walk Hitch out to the yard for bathroom breaks. If all else fails, I'll go to Mom and Dad's for a few days, where Hitch can run around the yard as much as he likes.

In the meantime, I'm applying for jobs left and right, but haven't had any nibbles so far. And, there is still that thesis to write... I think the coffee shop up the street will become my office this week.

2 comments:

MarvinK said...

Our dog pulls a lot, too... we had mixed results with a harness and also with a pronged collar. A friend taught us a trick with a regular leash for our dog... bring the leash down along her back, under her belly and loop it though. If she pulls, it tightens around her stomach and she stops. Our vet says its a good method. If the harness doesn't work.. give that a try.

Unknown said...

Hi, you missed adding a title to this post :) it's very interesting but if you add a title the people could find a good story by search engines.

Cheers!

Mirella
web development company