Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Running

I began running last winter, starting with 10 minutes. After years with a serious back injury, I hesitated to get my hopes up that I would ever truly be able to run the way I would want to run. To my surprise, I seemed to respond fairly well to running, and very gradually increased my running time. I was thrilled, and terrified, the first time I ran 5 miles.

As I appeared to respond OK to running, I pondered the idea of doing some triathlons, and began hitting the pool. For the first time in years, bike racing took a back seat... and I simultaneously had one of my biggest bike racing wins. My brother told me this was because I was riding my bike purely for the fun of it, rather than for any particular goal... and without any stress or pressure. I gradually increased my running distance, getting up to half-marathon distance. I began to suffer from aches and pains:  piriformis problems, sore hips, IT Band Syndrome, black toenails, abdominal pain, and top-of-foot soreness. Everyone told me this was due to my body adjusting to running, as I had never been a runner before. "Running hurts," was a common quote.

Several weeks ago, following my last bike race of the season, I began training for the Portland Marathon. Ted, Rusty, and I have planned to run the race together, and our whole families have planned to travel to Portland to watch and cheer. I was feeling good, though plagued with a steady stream of running-related injuries. My times were improving and I was loving running. Three weeks ago, I began having trouble with my right knee and IT band, which hindered my running for a week or two. I rolled out, iced, and stretched religiously, and the symptoms began to dissipate.

Two weeks ago, I set out to do an interval session (my 2nd running interval session ever) and I was very concerned that my right knee would cause me problems. I was thrilled that my knee was seemingly OK, but I felt a new ache on the outside of my lower left leg, about 4-5 inches above my ankle. I pushed through my interval session, feeling fairly good about my effort and chalking up the new ache to a typical running pain.

The following day, I set out for a long run with Ted. I felt good and was loving running. I had the desire to run and run, but smartly stopped after 10 miles... at Ted's urging. My right knee had not caused any real trouble, but the ache in my left leg was steadily present. I told myself I would take a day or two off and I would feel better.

Two days later, I set out for a very easy 6 mile run. I turned out of the driveway and was alarmed at the sharp pain in my left leg. I decided to jog for a bit, with hopes that it would feel better. It did not feel better. After 3 miles, I was done.

The following night I registered for the first race of a local 5 km race series. Due to arriving late, we had literally no time for a warm-up. My competitive juices started flowing as soon as the I crossed the starting line, and my heart rate simultaneously rose to a high rate. It's amazing how you do not feel pain, other than the pain of exertion, when your heart rate is jacked. I ran and enjoyed my hard effort, though it was not my best. Crossing the line, I eased up, and I realized that my left leg really hurt, to the point that I was limping. I knew I would not be running soon.

Through the next week, I continued to have pain in my leg, so I did not even consider trying to run. After almost a week off, I decided to contact an athletic trainer who had been recommended to me. Meeting with her yesterday, she immediately saw issues with my gait that need correction. Without even running, she was able to point out how much I over-pronate, which is not good for running.While I have very strong cycling-specific muscles, my running muscles are very weak, and I have very poor running form. I had aspirations of competing in tonight's 5km race. Instead, I am typing on my laptop.

I met with the trainer again this morning. She told me to come, "dressed to sweat." She put me on the treadmill first thing, building me from a walk to a run. I was unable to run, due to the sharp pain in my leg, so I had to stop. I asked her if she thought my injury could be a stress fracture. She said she thinks that is a very likely possibility. The only way to confirm a stress fracture is through imaging - usually a bone scan or MR, as they do not show up on x-rays in their early stages. All of my symptoms point to a stress fracture. It is my choice as to whether I want the imaging to confirm the diagnosis, as it really will not alter the treatment. I have decided to have the imaging done, as mentally I will do better with an official diagnosis.

I am trying not to be too frustrated, but I am really sick of being injured. In all of my nasty bike racing crashes (possible broken jaw, possible broken elbow, possible broken hip, possible knee fracture, etc.), I never broke a bone. Yes, I had a herniated disc in my back that prevented me from walking to the bathroom on my own accord at age 25, but no broken bones. I always found it funny that I was the Orthopedic surgeon's kid who never had a broken bone. To this day, I still don't have a cavity in my teeth, but it looks as though I may finally have that broken bone.

I have been through injuries far worse than this. I am still able to be independent, to walk to the bathroom, to dress myself, to walk my dogs. Only those closest to me know how much I suffered with my back. And, that is why I know I will come back from this injury. Compared to what I have been through before, this is nothing. I may not be able to run the marathon with Rusty and Ted in 6 weeks, but I will be back eventually. Time to be patient, and to enjoy the things "normal" people enjoy - like sitting in the sun with my dogs, a beer, and a good book on a gorgeous sunny evening. The sun, and my dogs, are calling....

5 comments:

randy said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387@gmail.com

FRAUBEHNE said...

Rooting for you! -Steph

Bali Resorts said...

Nice article and good blog.............great

Anonymous said...

الوظيفة في المغرب : باب المغرب للتوظيف - babmaroc.com
ka3ka.com - work and earn or offer a job : get Money

from home

RWAPA.com - Actualité du RAP Maroc Algerie Tunisie,

Clips et MP3 ? Télécharger gratuitement

Games at ibnawa.com - Play Free Online Games

business video production said...

Heart touching story.I appreciated your effort.I really like your blog.Thank for sharing