Saturday, March 10, 2007

The happenings


Where to begin? Ted's grandmother died, so he spent the last week in Chicago and Wisconsin; he's very happy to be back in nicer weather. While he was gone, I did my first mountain bike race, which was actually pretty fun. I raced in the sport category, which is one step up from beginner, and I've been getting some flack for racing there; some people say I should have done the pro/open category! These people obviously have never seen me ride off-road. I've ridden a mountain bike about 5 times ever and I still can't get used to the concept that I can actually ride over rocks and roots. Put me on a rocky descent and I'll most likely walk down parts of it. The climbing portion of the race was the only part where I actually did okay and passed some people - they would pass me back a few minutes later on the descent.


Rusty and I planned last week to surprise Mom and Dad with a visit from him. I picked him up at the Lewiston airport on Monday and we showed up at the front door, completely unexpected. Since Ted was out of town, I stayed down in Lewiston for a few days. We didn't do anything in particular. One day it was 65 and sunny!


We planned to leave yesterday to race in the Seattle area this weekend, but bailed at the last second (the car was packed and everything). I have a touch of a cold (thanks Rusty), so I wasn't super enthusiastic about racing, and Ted wasn't excited to travel after all the time he spent on planes and in cars during the past week. So, Ted's out riding now and I'm just taking it easy at home. I really don't want to get sick before Redlands, so I'm trying to keep this thing from progressing.


The hounds we rescued are still at the Humane Society. They're going up for adoption on Monday. They look so much better. I still would love to adopt them both, but I don't think it's going to happen. It's really tough to find a decent apartment in Pullman that will allow both dogs and cats.


That's the update for now. I have a nasty headache, so I think I'm going to lie down for a bit.



1 comment:

UltraMick said...

So sorry to hear about Ted's grandmother. My condolences to you all. Stay healthy and ride strong at Redlands!