Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Tour de Toona

Where to begin? Back from Altoona and sick with a nasty cold that began on the final day of the race. Not feeling so great at all. Went to work this morning and just slept all afternoon.

Overall, the race was a positive experience, though I did not have a great personal result. Our team did well overall, so that was great. I had a crash which caused me to plummet in the overall results, and then did a fair amount of work to help teammates, which hopefully did some good. It was just nice to finish the race this year. It's a long, tough one that wears on you mentally and physically. It is also the only race I know of where the women do the same courses/distances as the pro men for the entire race, and where the women's prize list is actually BIGGER!! I did about 430 miles in the past week.

We had some horrible rain a couple days. It was coming down in sheets! I thought it was hail a couple times because it was stinging as it hit my arms and face.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2006/jul06/toona06/toona065/mz06toona5_31

1 comment:

UltraMick said...

Good job at Toona!! I think Elkhorn comes pretty close in terms of matching men's and women's distances--we just get cheated a little in the crit. Get well (and recovered) soon!