Sunday, September 03, 2006

When all else fails, RUN!!!

Ted and I decided to do some cross practice last evening, so we headed to the local high school, which has lots of fields and gravel - perfect for a simulated cross race. We set up a course and each headed out to practice. Eventually, we ended up back together again. I led down a short, relatively steep descent, and then headed up a short hill. Suddenly, I had these bad stinging sensations on my ankle and back, and did not know what was going on. Ted yelled at me to keep going, but I had lost my momentum by that point. As he rode past me, I could see wasps following him, and simultaneously felt more stings everywhere.

I dropped my bike and chased after Ted on foot, still getting more stings. You know in cartoons how they show bees chasing characters? Yeah, they really do that; they chased us for a couple blocks.

Ted grabbed the car, his winter coat, and some jeans, and picked my bike up from where I had dropped it. All in all, I have at least 10 stings, while Ted got the better end of the deal with only (!) about 5. Not fun. The worst part is the itching I have now. I popped a couple Benadryl this morning after spending much of last night tossing and turning from the itch.

The lesson from this? Keep moving (like Ted did) when bees/wasps are on your tail. Do not stop like I did because they will really get you. Nasty buggers!

No comments: