Friday, February 16, 2007

Lost Pups

We set out to do 2.5 hours on the bike today. Midway through our first interval, I heard Ted say that two dogs were coming at us down the road. Sure enough, heading straight for us were two cute, obviously friendly, dogs. I stopped and they jumped up on me immediately, giving me friendly kisses. That was when I noticed how emaciated they were. I could feel every bone in their bodies. I immediately knew I could not leave them. I tried Ted's phone first, but there was no signal. Ted suggested that we come back for them after our ride, but I couldn't do that. I was too afraid that they would be hit by a car, so we decided that Ted would ride back and get the car, while I would stay with the dogs on the side of the road.

The two dogs were hounds of some sort, and both male. They were all over me, loving attention. The littler one was particularly skinny and kept shaking, so I put my arm around him. The bigger one would occasionally get stir crazy and wander out into the road, so I would call him back and wave at passing cars to slow down. Surprisingly, not a single car asked me if I needed anything. I mean, it was obvious I was on a bike ride and therefore had not brought my dogs with me. Plus, anyone could see they were starving.

I had no food with me, but I did have my two bottles of Gatorade, so I decided to let them have it, which they loved. They were so thirsty and sucked on the bottles until they were dry. The Gatorade also served as my means of bribing them when they wandered out in the road.

Ted eventually made it back after a very hard effor to get home as quickly as possible. We put the two boys in the car and took them to the Humane Society, so I can rest easily tonight knowing those sweet dogs are getting food and shelter tonight. Hopefully someone nice takes them in because they are very nice, cute pups. It would be great if they could stay together since they are obvious companions.

I, of course, had already become attached to them after spending an hour with them on the road, so it was bittersweet when we dropped them off. I'd take them home if I could!

No comments: