Monday, April 16, 2007

women's racing

I finally got some racing in my legs this past weekend, although both races were very frustrating, in different ways. I really wasn't surprised when I had no snap in my legs on Saturday, as it has been about three weeks since I last raced, and most of my time since then has been off the bike. I fell off of the pack early on and rode in with two other women. It was a good training ride in nice weather, so it was still a worthwhile race to do. I can't be too frustrated since I was sick for a week immediately after Redlands and then threw my back out immediately after that.

Sunday's race was more fun for me overall since I felt better on the bike and was actually able to "play" a little bit, rather than just trying to hang on. I found the tactics of some other teams a bit shady, so that made the race frustrating. At one point, I bridged up to a woman from another team who was off the front. I looked back and we had a good gap, and both of our teams were slowing down the pack, while the other teams weren't chasing at all. I told this woman we should go and work together because I thought we could have stayed off. She, however, would not work with me and we were both caught. I really think our teams would have gotten first and second, or at least had a good chance of it, if only she would have worked with me; instead, neither of our teams won. Why did she refuse to work with me? Not sure honestly. She said it was because she wanted to go for the prime. Hmmmm... I'd rather try to win overall than walk home with a new pair of socks, but I guess that's just me. This is the problem with women's racing (or women in general, really) - cattiness.

I have new confirmation that I am getting older, in the form of glasses. My eyes have finally gotten bad enough that I need correction for things like driving and watching tv. When I made the appointment for the opthamologist, I also made an appointment for my family doctor for the same morning; I really don't like going to the doctor, so I figured I'd get it all done at once.

I had the eye appointment first and then went to the other appointment. I had the impression throughout my second appointment that my doctor was looking at me strangely, so I decided to make a comment when I was leaving about how bright the lights are after you've had your eyes dilated. He said, "You know, I was wondering. I noticed your pupils were dilated, but I was thinking you couldn't possibly be a drug user. I'm really glad you said something." So am I. Otherwise, my chart would have a note about my possible drug use. I'm still surprised that he didn't ask me about it, especially since he's been my doctor for years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard the prime was for some Symmetrics socks...

They matched the kit!!!