Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hood River and the new place

We're back from our busy and hard week of racing in Hood River. It was so hot there! I'm actually not minding our 50 degree weather here today after spending the last week sweating.

The racing went pretty well for both Ted and me, with both of us having our best races there that we've had there. I had my best showing at an NRC (National Race Calendar) race ever, so I was very excited about that. I walked away with two top 10 finishes in individual stages, which is something I've never done at an NRC race. Too bad I completely blew up in the final two stages, or I could have left with an overall top-10 finish. Oh well. I still walked away with 20th. I have a fantastic coach this year who is really helping me to come around, so many thanks go out to him.

The time trial stage in Hood was probably the coolest TT I have ever done. For starters, at 18.5 miles, it was longer than almost any TT in a stage race. Then, to make it tougher, it included almost 2000 feet of climbing, a stiff headwind, and it ran through the historic tunnels of the town of Mosier. Very cool!

We signed a lease for a new place right before we left for Hood River. We pretty much stumbled on a small house that suddenly became available. It's probably about the same size as our current apartment, but it has a big fenced yard that goes all the way around it, which will be fantastic now that Hitcher is here. Plus, it'll be nice to be in a house, rather than an apartment. We'll move at the end of July, so there's a fair amount of stuff to get done before then. It's forcing me to go through all of my stuff - I just put a bunch of cycling gear up on Ebay. We'll have to have a party once we get all moved over.

2 comments:

UltraMick said...

Congrats on a great race, Allison! It was cool to see your name way up there in results. Well, maybe "cool" isn't the right word for Hood this year.... Well done, nonetheless!

JT said...

Way to go Allison! Glad to hear you did so amazing - I can't wait till we're able to race together. Maybe at Methow? Should be fun!

Jen