Friday, September 21, 2007

Cross and More Cross

We're heading over to Seattle tomorrow to do Starcrossed, which is such a cool event. Cyclocross races begin in the afternoon, and continue into the evening, with the elite women and men finishing up under the lights of the Marymoor Velodrome. By the time the sun sets, the crowds are big and the beer garden is full. Speaking of the beer garden, it is situated in the center of the velodrome infield, with the course snaking around it, which makes it easy to spectate and have a drink at the same time. The beer last year was PBR, so it left a little to be desired. This year, however, Deschutes is the sponsoring brewery, so it will actually be worth it to have a beer or two.

I'll be racing with the elite women. Since I have a cat 1 license on the road, USA Cycling insists on making me a 1 in cyclocross also. I'm in a rough spot because I tend to place at the top of the B women category, or at the bottom of the A category. I guess I might as well challenge myself by racing against all those women who are better than I am, with hopes that it will rub off on me eventually!

We'll do another race in Seattle on Sunday, which has a super long run-up. I believe it's about 80 meters long, and it really does make the legs burn. If it rains, I imagine it will be super sloppy and muddy.

It looks as if the race we're promoting in Pullman will go off okay. We have our officials, our course, and all of our permits. I think we'll even get some turn-out from the local mountain bike community. In fact, there seems to be more and more interest for cyclocross in Pullman and Moscow, as we have had random people ask us about the sport during our practices. Now if we could just get some more women to give it a try!

3 comments:

JT said...

Nice work this weekend Allison! It was fun cheering for you and seeing how hard cross looks like it hurts. ;)

Good luck with the new team options - sounds like you have some good things headed your way. I wish we could have raced together - at least once last season!

Hope your recovery from the weekend goes well....

Jen

Allison said...

Thanks Jen. Will we get you out there trying cross one of these days?

I'm sure I'll still be seeing you around the NW, so hopefully we'll get to race against each other a bit next year.

Take care!

JT said...

I'd love to try cross if a cross bike would fall into my lap... the throw down and get muddy aspect appeals to me. :)