Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Snow Ride

Rather than riding on our trainers today, we decided to brave the cold and snow on our mountain bikes. We got more snow last night and today, giving us a thick coating all around, and an even larger storm is coming Thursday. When we began our ride, the snow had ceased falling and parts of the sky were a bit blue. The roads were slushy with snow, but overall not too bad since the temperature was above freezing when we left the house. We were riding during the sunset, and with the drifting snow, it was really pretty; I'd still trade it in an instant for warm sunshine, though!

We turned around after about 40 minutes of riding, with a headwind in our faces and falling temperatures. Sure enough, the roads began to grow icy, and I suddenly found my front wheel yanked from underneath me. Down I went. I've got some bruises, but nothing too bad at all. Not more than a couple minutes later, Ted suffered the same fate, tumbling and rolling across the ice. Thankfully, he didn't fare any worse than I did.

Although we both crashed, I think we're both glad we got out. It was just nice to do something outdoors, rather than sitting on our trainers in front of the TV. Winter, winter, winter!

No comments: