Wednesday, March 19, 2008

One race down

The 2008 racing season is officially underway for Ted and me, having done our first race in Boise last Sunday. It was a long trip to make for a 10 mile time trial, but it was also an opportunity to get to meet all of my teammates and the great sponsors at Bob's Bicycles.

Sure enough, Kristin Armstrong, the former world time trial champion, was slotted to start just behind me, raising the questions of just how quickly she would catch me, and how much total time she would put into me. Pretty quickly, I could tell I wasn't having my best time trial, so I was a bit confused when I reached the turnaround and Kristin had not caught me. No, I had not put down a world championship-worthy first half; Kristin had decided to sit up because she did not want to risk crashing in the horrible cross winds.

Ted and I both ended up winning our categories, so it was a pretty cheery drive home. With any luck, these first results were just foreshadowing of what is to come in the season ahead. It was awesome to have the Bob's women's team capture the top 4 slots in the results, and I'm excited to have this great group to race with.

For those who haven't heard about Rusty's proposal, he flew over to Japan to surprise his girlfriend, who was flying back from New Guinea. She had been out of the country for a few weeks and they had barely had any communication, so he totally shocked her when he showed up at her hotel room with flowers and a ring.

Hitcher's super antsy and my tummy's growling, so that's it for now. Time to walk him up to campus to meet Ted, so we can come home and have some homemade Pozole. My Cougars play their first game in the NCAA Tournament tomorrow afternoon, so send good karma their way.

No comments: