Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful

We left Pullman at 4 am this morning, so I took a little snooze on the way to Spokane, while Ted drove. I awoke to a pounding sensation in my chest, the smell of gunpowder, and my own screams. I had no idea what had happened. We had hit a large male deer. We both jumped out of the car to find the front end of my new RAV4 ruined, and a large deer carcass on the road ahead. Debris was everywhere.

The front end of the car is totaled. Often, when drivers hit deer, you hear of them driving away from the scene. Not the case with us. We are seriously lucky to be uninjured, let alone alive. We hit the dear at 60+ mph, and it could have gone through the windshield. My side of the windshield has a large fracture. The driver's side hit the deer, which we think rolled across the top of the hood, hitting my side of the windshield. Both airbags deployed and we both have sore backs/chests as a result.

We made it to Chicago after all of this, getting in 4 hours later than originally planned. But, at least we're okay.

3 comments:

UltraMick said...

Wow! I'm glad you guys are OK--sorry about the car and the deer, but thankful you're uninjured!

Chris said...

Holy cow! Glad to hear you guys weren't hurt. Cars can always be replaced. Have a safe return trip.

~Chris & Lorena

Anonymous said...

I saw the picture and my heart stopped. So glad you guys are ok. Tia and I have had a tough week and very thankful for friends and family. Hope you have a great weekend.

Andy and Tia